• Feedback
  • Success Stories
  • Market Info Blog
  • Justy’s Career Advice
  • We are often asked about ‘Gaiben’ (Gaikokuho-Jimu-Bengoshi), or Registered Foreign Lawyer in English, and what is needed to be registered as one.  The Ministry of Justice lays out the requirements here however in brief, for a person to be eligible to register for Gaiben, he/she must have practiced for 3 years, including at least 2 years in their home jurisdiction, i.e. two years practice experience outside of Japan.

    There is talk that the 2-year overseas requirement may be reduced to one year but for now, it remains 2 years.

    We are often asked what counts as ‘practice experience’. For example, whether a New York qualified associate working in Hong Kong but supervised by a New York qualified partner is acceptable, or any number of other permutations of this question. We cannot answer with any authority, however, we understand that the Japan Federation of Bar Associations is a helpful resource with regard to Gaiben inquiries, but that there is a subjective element applied to each application.

    Posted by 

    Paul Cochrane

    Private Practice, Compliance, In-house Corporate

    More from Market Info Blog

    The danger of the counteroffer


    It is no secret that accepting a counteroffer is risky for the employee. This CNBC article succinctly summarises those risks. Often, agreeing to stay can just mean del... read more

    The Twelve Days of Christmas (for 2019)


    As the year draws to a close, we can’t help but reflect on the current status of the Tokyo legal (and compliance) market, especially in its current busy (bubble?) state. ... read more